Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Papillon


Have you ever tried a new technique and been so wonderfully surprised by how it turned out?  The tutorial challenge on Mark's Finest Papers was positive and negative masking.  I'd done masking before but  not this particular type.  I stamped the butterflies from MFP's Easter set first.  I then stamped 4 butterflies on post-it notes and cut them out.  I then went around each butterfly in TH's Broken China and then filled in the spaces with Tumbled Glass.  I then used a piece of scrap paper and cut out a butterfly from the centre to make a negative mask.  I started at the centre of each butterfly with Rusty Hinge and moved out with Wild Honey and then did the wing tips in Scattered Straw.  I wasn't really planning it in advance but was thrilled when it made them look like monarch butterflies.

All the masking was time-consuming and I was so happy with the effect, I couldn't bear to to cover up all my hard work so I decided to leave this as a notecard and not include a sentiment.  I would totally do this again with a smaller area but am not sure I would do something as finicky as a background again.  Of course I may be faster next time since I was doing this after being up 24 hours with a sick baby.

Challenges this Card Meets:
Tutorial Time Challenge on Speedy TV - Positive and Negative Masking
Charizma Cards - Anything Goes
Creatalicious - Anything Goes
Papertake Weekly - Anything Goes
Crafty Bloggers Network Monday Challenge #1 - Anything Goes

10 comments:

  1. very cool n pretty....butterflies... feeling happy to see so many butterflies in one space...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is just beautiful!!! I love all the prety butterflies and the color you chose!
    Thanks for joining Tutorial Time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so vivid! What a great take on the tutorial. Thanks for playing along with us on Speedy TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with this technique! Thanks for playing along with us at Tutorial Time on SpeedyTV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I really love your card - the butterflies and colors are gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Tutorial Time in SpeedyTV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks simple, but so sophisticated! Well done. I am impressed. :) Thanks for playing along with Papertake Weekly.
    Hugs, Jacqueline (GDT Papertake Weekly)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card! Thank you for joining us at Charisma this week xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous card Christine. Love butterflies and what stunning colours. Thanks for joining us at Papertake Weekly Challenge. Love Sharon (GDT). x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh what a lovely card! The butterflies are stunning. I really must try this technique! Thank you so much for playing along at the CBN network challenge this week.. Hope to see you again soon!

    Jo
    CBN DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. gorgeous card, those butterflies are beautiful
    Thanks for playing along with Papertake Weekly and good luck
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete