Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Masks Upon Masks


Be careful what you wish for!  I've been saying for months that I wanted to get better at sewing as soon as my coursework is finished.  Well, I was to finish my last course for my diploma on April 6th. On April 5th, a coworker asked me to make some masks for Canada Sews, a grassroots organization that is making masks for frontline workers who are short of PPE (personal protection equipment).  My coworker is heading the Vancouver/Lower Mainland branch and knows that I am crafty.  I thought I was agreeing to make a couple masks.  No, the minimum donation is 20 masks.  Okay, I can figure this out.  Please remember that before this started, I struggled to thread my machine and sew in a straight line.  I've now completed 100 masks.  I forgot to take pictures of the first 30 and was kicking myself.  This is the second set of forty masks.  We are using a pocket mask so that wearers can add their own filter.  The pattern can be found here.  I started with making ties because elastic could not be found in Canada but after lots of reviews, I am continuing with ties.  Many of the elastics are not holding up to being washed.  I am pretty picky with my materials.  Everything is 100% cotton, including the thread so that they can go through industrial washing machines and even go through an autoclave if necessary.  My mom worked in an OR in her twenties and used to be in charge of cleaning and picking sets and running the autoclave so she was very helpful in letting me know some of the dos and don's.  Who knows if we will have to go back to that style of cleaning instead of disposable with the way the supply chains are going.



1 comment:

  1. Such an awesome project to be part of—so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete